SEO is the science used to drive traffic and move our web pages upwards to the top on search engines like Google, Bing, Yahoo etc., SEO involves altering our website structure and content to make it easier for the search engine spiders to index. It is the key tool for the website owners to get more traffic.
How to do SEO?
Need to emphasize the brand, product or company on the internet. Worried about how to do SEO for the same? Grab in your scribble pads and follow these simple and elaborately explained steps to know how to do SEO and start afresh for your website! 6steps are involved in this process.
Website design factors –
- While designing any website or webpage, the first and foremost factor is that the entire website is simple, easy in operation and understanding and is filled with rich data and materials.
- Always avoid the use of flash. Flash is not always readable by the search engines and the loading of the page becomes slower, as a user, this is not appreciated. If using flash is very necessary, try and make it small (e.g. as a flash header) and cover the remaining area for content having lots of keywords.
- Mind has a unique habit of following whatever appears colorful and creative. Hence, the use if graphics is a must when you are doing any SEO. You can use a variety of pictures and effects that are relevant to the content and use an alt tag with the relevant keywords for the search engines to read as engines cannot read the graphics. Why to add up content when there is already a smart graphic ready? To entertain the web visitors while the graphic is loading!
- Frame usage should always be avoided. Spidering is a concept which is not compatible with many search engines. If you add the frames, chances are the search engines cannot spider web pages with frames at all. Some search engines do have the facility to spider web pages, but they too sometimes cannot index the web page.
- The main objective of doing the SEO is keeping it less complicated for the spiders. If the navigation bar is very difficult to understand, some engines find it difficult to navigate through other pages. Hence, the use of complex tables while laying out any web page is undesirable.
- Not every user has a high speed internet connection and everyone loved pages that are loaded and downloaded at a speed. External cascading sheets and java scripts files can be used to reduce the size of any page. The faster the spider indexes your page, the better is the ranking.
- Standard HTML should be used. Generally, softwares like FrontPage, Dreamweaver and WYSIWYG editor will add unnecessary scripting codes that make the web page larger and harder to crawl. It might also generate some codes which the search engines cannot read and this makes the spider not to index the page or even the entire website. If to use, you should use those web page creator software wisely with a good understanding of html so that you may manually avoid or even delete those unnecessary scripting codes.
Select Keywords –
A keyword is a word or a phrase entered by people into a search engine when they want to find information, or products and services online. It can be a single word, a phrase or even a sentence.
A following set of processes is to be done to finalize the keywords.
With this in mind, let’s take a look at the 5 points process for conducting great keyword research.
- Put together an initial list of search terms that you think your target audience would use to find your website. If you’re stuck for ideas, you can go to a competitor’s website and simply right-click on their website. Then view the source code and look for the Meta keywords that are listed. These are the keywords that your competitor’s have deemed to be their most important searches and could be a good list to use as your initial starting point in addition to the list you has put together on your own.
- Take your initial list of search terms and plug them into the free Google Keyword tool: Then once you’ve entered the target search terms, click on the search button to find a list of related terms and the number of times the word was entered every month. This is called the monthly traffic volume and helps to understand the types of searches.
- Export an excel file with the list of search terms that were displayed in the Google Keyword tool and do a data sort of keywords with the highest traffic and lowest competition. Once you have this list, you’ll want to do an Excel sort of keywords by the highest monthly traffic volumes. Then select five to ten keywords toward the top of the list that you think are most relevant to your website.
- Once you have this initial list, you will want to check on the overall competitiveness of the search terms on your list. Google gives you a competition score in their tool, but be aware that this only reflects the paid search competition and isn’t relevant for SEO purposes.
- After you have your initial list of search terms, you will want to enter them into rank tracking software so that you can keep track of your target search terms while at the same time understanding how your activities are impacting overall search rankings for the search terms you are targeting.
Make sure that your website content is filled with the key words. Use the key words on the appropriate pages by using 3 to 6 keywords per page that includes a minimum of 300 words of unique content. How to do SEO which has rich reading content? What do the readers anticipate when they are going through your website? What is the genre of the content of your website? These are important aspects to be looked upon!
SEO Friendly Writing Does Not Mean Writing for Search Engines. It means writing proper content helpful to readers. While you are on the plan of how to do SEO, it is important to understand what the readers would want to read which can increase the traffic of your webpage.
The first and foremost thought in your mind when working on content for your Web pages is that you’re writing for people not for search engines. If you have to choose between a technique that is good for your readers but not so good for search engines or vice versa, choose that which is good for your readers. Search engines ultimately want to provide content that is interesting and informative for their customers too, and a page that is too optimized is no fun to read.
Fortunately, most of the techniques that make good Web writing make for decent SEO as well.
- Write relevant content. Search engines have ways of recognizing when a page is not really about what it might seem to be about. If you’re playing games with your content to try and fool search engines, it will eventually be found and you’ll lose rank or even be banned. It’s much better to write content that is relevant to your topic.
- Put conclusions at the beginning. Another way to think of this is that you want your keywords to be denser towards the top of your article. If your page is about readymade clothes, then the first mention of readymade clothes should be in the title and first sentence. Don’t start using synonyms for your keyword phrase until the second or third paragraph.
- Use lists instead of paragraphs. Lists are easier to get your seo content into without your repetition seeming strange.
- Make your links part of the copy. This is especially important if your links include your keyword phrases. If you’ve linked to the Gents wear on your snow readymade clothes page, make sure that you link the words ” Gents wear ” and not something unrelated like “click here”.
- Include internal sub-headings and they should include your keyword phrase. Use heading tags for your sub-heads, and repeat your keyword phrase.
- Proofread your pages. It doesn’t do any good to focus on the keywords “snow leopard” if you spell it “snow leopart” once or twice on the page. Plus, the spelling and grammar errors make your content look unprofessional, so people are less likely to link to your page.
On page optimization:
It is very important that On Page Optimization is done correctly for a website as this gives the information to the search engine crawlers and spiders about the theme of the website and which keywords you are targeting to rank on. While accomplishing the task of how to do a SEO, on page optimization deserves a serious attention and it is once on the website. Do On Page Optimization after every 3 months to keep the site fresh for Search Engines. This helps in keeping an updated page with fresh content which attracts the users.
1. Use title tags that are specific each page
The title tags should have the keywords that are specific to a page. This is because the title is used by the search engines to identify each individual page. The number of characters used in the title tag should be less than 70 including all the spaces.
2. Use heading tags that are specific
Heading tags define the level wise classification of your web page content. Just like title tags, they should be used to highlight the keywords. Use <h1> to <h6> heading tags. Make sure that the most competitive keywords are in the <h1> tag.
3. Add the title attributions to the web pages
Title attributions improve your site’s usability when used with the navigational tabs. It also gives a little boost to your site on search engine optimization. The text used should clearly indicate the content of the upcoming page. Include the keywords if possible on the title attributions and make them less than 10 words.
4. Use Image alt attribute
The image alt attribute adds descriptions to the images used on your site. This makes it possible for search engines to recognize what people search through the web. This can cause an increase in traffic to your site. Use texts that describe an image. Include the keywords if appropriate and make sure you use only 5-10 words to describe your images. You can use the image alt attribution on the different types of images including png, jpg, gif and the clickable buttons on your site.
5. Use Meta tags that describe your site
Meta tags make it easier for the searchers to detect if the link to your page is worth clicking or not. These tags also help to move your site up the search engine results. Utilize the keywords in your Meta tag descriptions to optimize all your pages.
6. Use a descriptive, easy to remember URL
This is a great way to boost your search engine rankings. Your domain name should indicate your brand. Also ensure that all sub-directories and all pages on your site are optimized for SEO by using the relevant keywords.
7. Ensure that your site has a sitemap
To improve your ranking on the SERPs add an .xml sitemap at the root of your site. These maps list the pages of your website in hierarchy to outline the pages accessible to crawlers.
8. Debug your site regularly to avoid 404 errors
404 errors prevent search engines from exploring your site to index it among the search result. These errors also ruin the credibility of your site to the users. If you own a big site with lots of pages, there is more chance of finding 404 errors. Check your site regularly to identify the errors to maintain the crawl ability of your site and to keep it user friendly.
9. Use the correct keyword density
Your keywords should be well incorporated in the content of your site. As you work hard to incorporate the keyword, also ensure that your content has a natural an authentic tone. The best way to achieve an appropriate keyword density is by using the keyword once in the first paragraph, once in your content’s main body and one last time in the last paragraph.
10. Check your keyword proximity
If you are using more than one keyword phrase, ensure that you include them next to each other or just have a few words separating them. You must also ensure that you sound natural as you strive to keep your keywords together. The proximity of keywords should not compromise your content’s quality.
Off Page Optimization
Off Page Optimization Is something which is done offsite and usually not visible on the website however results in pushing the ranking higher on search engines, it is a regular process and must be done ethically for better and long term results.
Increasing back links – The best way to be sure that the search engines can find your site is to have other Websites link to your site. If you have a lot of other Websites linking to your site, the search engine spiders will visit your site more frequently and find new content quickly
1. Social Networking
Social networking or social media marketing is the best way of off page optimization. Google also recommend for social media optimization. If your site is good enough other webmasters shall start giving link to your website pages and posts.
2. Blog Posting
Pick the good quality and more discussed websites and guest blog about your webpage on them. It will enhance your authorship visibility all over the web and other websites might link to your website’s content.
3. Social Bookmarking
Social bookmarking sites are good for off page search engine optimization. Sites like stumbleupon, digg, delicious are very good sites that give traffic as well as backlinks. Do not bookmark on sites that has low quality on web. Social channels add up to the answers to how to do SEO and works wonders once in action!
4. Press Releases
Though Google has announced that it will not give backlinks to your site from press release websites, the press releases certainly helps in developing any webpage and while doing an SEO, press releases form an integral part. It is a very good way for off page SEO which can generate good traffic and brand value for your site.
5. Article Writing
Write bunch of articles on Ezine and other qualitative article websites. It will boost your website’s off page presence and provide you extra backlinks. Always remember do not be so smart be unique and original. It will give you natural links. How to do SEO while playing with the words is the real technique of any article writer.
6. Forum Discussions
Use some good quality forum sites to discuss about your website’s content and pages. Forum websites are also very good way to increase traffic. People love reading and discussing about current topics and it can add up to the traffic of your website. Off page SEO’s value increased a lot by forum discussions.
7. Classifieds Submissions
If your website category is related to classified categories you should also post classified ads on various classified websites for extra dose of off page SEO.
8. Questions and Answers
Try to find out some questions and answer website that has some topics related to your website. Post questions and answers related to your website’s content and posts.
9. Comments Posting
Everyone likes to be heard and comments are an excellent way to keep the topic in discussion and doing a SEO for any website. Comments posting is good way to generate traffic on your website. Some sites also allow do follow comments that can provide your site some good quality backlinks. It will promote your site through off page medium.
10. Business and Local Listing
Add your business websites to business and local listing websites for off page benefits. Post good quality unique information about your website on local listing pages it will optimize your website and provide you good back links.
BE Patient –To watch your results
It is always important to be patient while you are undergoing optimization. It can take a long time, weeks or even months to improve the site’s rankings for the keywords that you targeted. But it will eventually be ranked high in the search with the targeted keywords. Never be anxious about how to do SEO which will hit the bull’s eye. Follow the above given simple steps and you are good to go!